You are here

Visa and Residence Permit

Citizens of the EEA/EU countries do not need to apply for a visa or residence permit before arriving in the country, but if they stay for more than three months, they must apply for a residence permit in Finland within the three months through the local police station in Finland. In order to obtain a residence permit for studying in Finland, an international student must generally bring the following documents:

  • passport
  • two passport-size photos
  • a certificate of your enrolment at Savonia University of Applied Sciences
  • proof of funding or scholarships to cover the study and living expenses in Finland.

Citizens of the Nordic countries do not need residence permits, visas or work permits.

If you come from outside EEA/EU countries, remember to apply for a visa from the nearest Finnish embassy in your home country well in time before your departure. You also need a residence permit. 

More information

Read here the instructions of the Finnish Immigration Service.



Savonia UAS

Savonia is one of Finland's biggest and most versatile universities of applied sciences. Our campuses are situated in Kuopio, Iisalmi and Varkaus. There are almost 6000 students and 600 employees at Savonia. In education we implement Open Innovation Space (OIS), where we combine learning, development, research, and teaching.