- Savonia University of Applied Sciences
I’m Maisha, and I’m from South-Asia, Bangladesh. As of 2020, I just completed my first year as a Mechanical Engineering student here at Savonia UAS, Kuopio, Finland.
Of course, there were many universities I could have applied for, but none that could give me the combination of things I was looking for. Savonia allows me to study my craft practically, instead of burying my nose in books all year long. The teachers are incredibly helpful, and make sure every student feels at ease with and is able to complete the course work. Since the groups are small, interpersonal relations between peers, as well as with teachers, are always great. They are always ready to help with any problems we face. The fact that this degree is a double major of Mechanical Engineering and well as Industrial Management makes it an even better choice. Not only do we learn the technical know-how, we also learn how to work in a corporate environment. We even have actual engineering projects from the first year itself, which makes it considerably easier to find internships just after one year. The labs are amazing and have everything you might ever need for your projects.
It’s not very difficult to live your day-to-day life in the city of Kuopio, Finland. The Finns are a helpful people and almost everybody speaks English, and this is a great opportunity to learn a foreign language, too. The other thing, coming from a small yet bustling city of about 9 million people, settling into what feels like the quaint little city of Kuopio is a bit jarring. But once you’ve been here a while, you’ll love the quietude. Not to mention the beautiful forest, lakes, and mountainous terrains. It’s a serene place, and great to live in.
- My name is Ayush Pradhan and I come from India, I have taken bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- I chose Savonia as it is located in a town full of opportunities. Savonia is a small university and it’s good to see that every teacher focuses on each student as well, unlike big universities where they have batches for 80 - 90 students.
- I love being here as I am able to talk to students from various countries and understand their culture. There is not much pressure on you for exams or homework, and so I can do my other activities peacefully.
In the future Ayush is focusing on becoming an expert in robotics, artificial intelligence and data analysis.
- I chose Savonia because I wanted to study something that I like, in the way that I like and somewhere where I feel great, says Amine Bouhadane. He comes from Morocco and he’s studying Mechanical engineering in Savonia.
- Savonia is the place where I found all of this. An interesting study program based on practical work, less study hours and more activities. I also wanted to go somewhere quiet and clean and Kuopio is the best place. It is a very nice city surrounded by forests and lakes where you can enjoy skiing and snowboarding during winter and swimming and hiking during the summer.
Amine says, that that studying in Savonia is very interesting.
- The lecturers give you the most important things and you have to work but trust me it is interesting! We also have many activities, a variety of sports and a lot of student events. Kuopio is a small city but you'll find anything you need here.
- I’m planning to make an exchange in the 3rd year to one of Savonia's many partner universities, after that I will do some internships in Finland before going back to my country and make partnerships with some Finnish companies in the sector of mechanical engineering.
My name is Awakan Victor Pelumi. I am from Lagos, Nigeria and I am presently living and studying in Kuopio. My journey to become a Savonia student is an interesting one. I was studying in a European university before moving to Finland. While I was in my former school I felt something was missing in the teaching and structure of the program. In Savonia, I got more than I was looking for. The students are few which gave the lecturers the ability to know the students’ needs and give assistance promptly. The lecturers are eager to help academically and psychologically.
Internship might be one of the most difficult thing to get as a foreign student without Finnish language skills, but Savonia doesn’t leave you to deal with it on your own. The lecturers and study advisor try their best to match your skills with local Finnish companies in the area.
Savonia is the best school to study Mechanical Engineering in Finland. You don’t only study what it takes to be an engineer, but you get a chance to visit local companies and see how your learning is been applied. Not only that, you get to apply yours skills in brainstorming section, coming up with innovative ideas and actually making the idea come to life by actually make it into a school project.
Savonia gives you everything you need to succeed as a mechanical engineering student. The 3D printing and welding laboratory is open for students to try out their different ideas and see how they come out in real life.
Kuopio gives you the feel of a modern city while combining it nicely with a breathtaking forest view. The winter brings beautiful scenes with activities like skating, ice-fishing and skiing while you get to walk in the forest and swim in the nice lake Kallavesi in the summer and not to forget the Finnish sauna.
There is no doubt in my mind that Savonia is the best place to study mechanical engineering. Come and experience the best of education and nature!